In 1869 the Augustinian convent was suppressed, and the friars expelled. They moved into a nearby house, and conducted their ministry from there.
The government sold the convent. It was bought by a family in Genoa named Degola, who sold it in 1897 to another person in Genoa, Giacomo Sciallero Carbone.
In 1901 an Italian Augustinian, Giacomo Belgrano O.S.A., raised money in the United States to purchase back the property for 20,000 Italian lire.
(Because most other Augustinian houses in Italy are still rented from the government even today, Gubbio has long been an exception in Italy by being in Augustinian ownership.)
In 1905 an Augustinian novitiate was established at the Gubbio convent, and Giacomo Belgrano O.S.A. was made Master of Novices.
This Augustinian church (now also a parish church) and monastery are a busy centre of ministry, although there are only two priests resident there because the paucity of Augustinian numbers in Italy and in the First World generally.
The convento still has its own vineyard and olive grove on the side of the hill that comprises the rear section of the property.