Above: Town plan of Gubbio. The Augustinian church is shown just outside the Roman gate (called the Porta Romana, or sometimes the Porta Sant'Agostino) in the city wall at the right edge of the image.
A man named Iacomellus gave the Hermits of Brettini (the Brettini) a house, vineyard, woods and various lands. Building began in 1251 and the church, located just outside the Porta Romana, was completed by 1292.
In 1258, two years after the Grand Union
, Pope Alexander IV donated money to the Augustinians of Gubbio.
A papal bull of Pope Nicholas IV (the first Franciscan to become Pope) in 1292 seems to confirm that an Augustinian church and convento (monastery) had been completed there.
This Augustinian church is mentioned in documents pertaining to the widening of the town walls in 1302. This stands to reason because the church is just outside the walls near the ancient Roman gate.
The Augustinian church is mentioned in a record of the celebrations for the feast of Saint Catherine in 1339.
Side chapels are mentioned as being constructed in 1341 and later.
To the eternal gratitude of historians, the Augustinian General Chapter of 1345 required all Augustinian communities to keep an inventory of their property. Gubbio listed nine chalices, gilded and silver crosses, three wooden crosses for funerals, six silk chasubles, a chest with reliquaries, and a set of tools for making altar breads.
The church and convento had twenty-one books for celebrating the Divine Office and religious services.
(Continued on the next page.)
For over sixty photographs of Gubbio on Augnet: choose Italy: Gubbio after you click here.