The basic construction took until 1736, but the decorative Baroque art work and altars were not finished until 1745, fourteen years after construction began.
The porch of the church has wonderful sculptures of Christ and of Augustinian saints such as Augustine, Monica and Rita.
The main altar and the side altars in the church were magnificent works of art.
Unfortunately, like many altars in Mexico, they were destroyed in the nineteenth century.
But why build such a large monastery? The Province of Michoacán of the Order of Saint Augustine constructed such a large monastery in Querétaro for the purpose of using it as a house of study for candidates to the Order.
The resulting building then served that purpose for about one hundred years, from 1750 to 1850.
Soon afterwards, there was a great political change that brought about the Mexican Constitution of 1857, a bloody civil war and the confiscation of much property that belonged to the church and to the religious orders.
After this, the monastery then stood unused for a number of years. The government then moved in its officers in May 1889.
The building became known as the Federal Palace.