Both pastors harassed them to such an extent that in the spring of 1341 their prior Robert complained to Bishop Grandisson. The bishop appointed as his representatives William Bergeveny, chancellor of the University of Oxford, and two canons.
They called the parties before their judgment seat in St Frideswide Church, Oxford, but it seems that they were more interested in bringing about a modus vivendi or a compromise than in examining the merit of the case.
Photo (below): The interior of St Austin’s Catholic Church, Stafford. Standing on former land of the Austin Friary in Stafford, this church was opened in July 1862. It is dedicated to St Augustine of Hippo.