Until shortly after the Second Vatican Council (1962 – 1965) the Order of St Augustine carried the official name of the Order of Brothers of Hermits of St Augustine.
This highlighted the Order’s origins rather than its reality or the intention of its formation as a mendicant order right from the time of its formal beginning at the Grand Union of 1256.
The hermits mentioned in the Order’s title were eremitical (“hermit”) groupings in numerous small and isolated communities that had begun as early as the twelfth century principally in Tuscany but also to a lesser extent in France, England, etc.
For your convenience, this sub-section of Augnet gathers her in one place various centres of hermitages that contributed to the Augustinian tradition that formally became a reality at the Augustinian Grand Union of 1256.
Many of these centres continued in existence for a number of centuries, yet not strictly as hermitages any more but as Augustinian mendicant communities. One of them, at Lecceto, is still s functioning Augustinian house today (now of Augustinian contemplative nuns), almost 800 years later.
To go to these various pages, click on the headings below.
Early hermitages: Overview 1 & 2
S. Leonardo al Lago
S. Georgio della Spelonca
S. Maria di Lupacavo
San Guglielmo a Malavalle
Photo (at right)
A signpost on Mount Pisano pointing the way to the ruins of the former hermitage at S. Giorgio della Spelonca.