The issues in contention were principally the same points of dispute which had engaged religious and secular (diocesan) clergy for so many decades. Some of the complaints of the pastor were fully justified. The people of Atherstone, not having a parish church of their own, had become attached to the Augustinian friary and attended its church rather than what officially was their parish church in distant Mancetter.
The Bishop of Lichfield, John Bourgh, a Dominican friar, saw the difficulties but thought the accusations of the pastor were without merit, and hence refused to receive his complaint. Thereupon the pastor complained to Rome, which ordered the bishop to conduct a formal investigation.
Images (below): At left, the interior of St Mary’s Church, Atherstone. At right, a side view, showing the older portions on the left and the later portion on the right. The present "Gothic" tower was a reshaping in 1872 of the original Austin Friars' square tower.