Images (above). St Stephen's Church, Buda in recent times.
Joseph regarded that parish work was the domain of diocesan priests, whose life was far more interconnected with the secular sphere (and over whom Joseph and his ministers had more control). The Augustinians were likewise badly affected by Joseph's restrictive decrees concerning religious orders in Austria.
The Augustinians complied with the summons to depart Buda, given that a threat to the existence of the Order in the Austro-Hungarian Empire more broadly was not involved. Perhaps, also, given that many of the Augustinian friars at Buda were non-Hungarians and had closer ties with the Vienna houses of the Order, their departure from Buda might not have been as traumatic as would be imagined.
The Franciscans occupied the site by 1835, having been themselves evicted elsewhere and reluctantly forced to take over this former Augustinian parish. The central altar-piece at the Augustinian church at Buda featured Saint Stephen, the smaller one on the left highlighted Saint Augustine; the smaller one on the right honoured Saint Nicholas of Tolentino.
Since Saint Nicholas was very much an Augustinian saint, the Franciscans replaced his altar-piece and inner chapel with one to Saint Francis of Assisi. This probably occurred in 1852.
(Continued on the next page.)
The church was renovated by the Franciscans in 1926. The building was also seriously damaged in the last stages of World War II. By 1947 it had been repaired, and the interior was repainted at that time.