1. Named after two Roman Emperors, Aurelius Augustinus (Augustine) was born in Tagaste, North Africa on Sunday, 13th November 354.
2. His mother, Monica
, was a Catholic Christian.
3. His father, Patricius
, was a pagan. He had no religion. Late in life, he became a Christian.
6. His mother Monica was sad that Augustine was doing wrong things. She continually prayed that he would change his ways.
7. Augustine was not really happy with his life. He was restless. He questioned what he was doing, and who God was.
8. Augustine went to Rome
in Italy to advance his teaching career.
11. He was baptised
at the age of 33 years by Ambrose
, the Bishop of Milan (Italy).
12. Augustine went back to Africa. There he lived with a group of friends who devoted their time to prayer
and reading so that they could understand God better.
13. The people who lived in Hippo wanted him to become a priest
. He said yes to them when he was thirty-six years old, and was ordained.
15. Augustine wrote many books. After the Bible, his book "Confessions
" was for centuries the most read book in the world.
16. He died
at the age of seventy six years on 28th August 430. ID0612