The Augustinian Convento (monastery) of San Gallo was located just outside the Porta (gate) San Gallo at Florence, Italy.
It is notable for at least two reasons.
Firstly, its architect forever afterwards used San Gallo as his family name.
Secondly, although the convento has long been demolished, three paintings that were commissioned for the convento are still in existence.
The Augustinian convento at San Gallo was built at the expense of the ruler of Florence, Lorenzo de’Medici (il Magnifico – the magnificient), 1449 – 1492.
Lorenzo did this only a few years before his death, possibly in 1487.
His generosity in this regard was stimulated by the support he received from a famous Augustinian at the time who lived at the Augustinian Convento Santo Spirito, Florence.
This Augustinian, Mariano da Genazzano O.S.A. (1450 - 1498), took a public position against Girolamo Savonarola O.P., a Dominican mendicant who challenged the decadent state of life in Florence and in the most senior officials of the Church in Rome.
Mariano da Genazzano O.S.A. was acclaimed as the one of the best preachers in the classical style in Italy at that time.
On at least one occasion in the pulpit, however, he was totally objectionable and uncharitable in the verbal abuse and calumny that he directed at Savonarola.
As architect for the convento at San Gallo, Lorenzo de’Medici engaged Guiliano, the son of Francesco Giamberti.
After this Augustinian assignment Giuliano always called himself Giuliano di San Gallo (1445 - 1516), by which name he has been known ever since.
The convento was built just outside the Porta San Gallo, which was a gate in the city wall of Florence.
In 1488 – which was possibly before the Convento San Gallo was completed - Giuliano di San Gallo worked directly for the Order of Saint Augustine on a different project.
He designed the sacristy of the Augustinian Church of Santo Spirito in Florence.
Twenty six years later in 1514-1515 he became the assistant architect of Saint Peter’s Basilica (construction began in 1546) in Rome.
Until he retired through ill health after eighteen months at this task, he worked with Raphael (Raphael Sanzio, 1483 – 1520), the painter and architect.
(Continued on the next page.)