The Basilica of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine (Tolentino in Italian) was in the past simply called Saint Augustine's Church.
It was built in the second half of the eighteenth century.
The tomb of the saint is located in a special chapel, the Cappellone di San Nicola.
It houses a cycle of frescoes dating from around 1325 which are the largest and finest in the Marche area of Italy. They had a profound influence upon successive generations of Marche painters.
Tolentine is a place of pilgrimage where people come to pray at the tomb of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine O.S.A.
For the page on Augnet about the life of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine O.S.A., patron of the Holy Souls, click here.
Pictures (at right):
Picture 1: Facade of the basilica.
Picture 2: Interior of the basilica.
Picture 3: Standard image of Saint Nicholas.