Santo Spirito, the Augustinian church in Florence, is on the left bank of the Arno River, across the Ponte S. Trinita from the centre of the city.
A previous church was built on this site in 1250. It is thought that the Augustinians arrived there at that time. This makes Santo Spirito, along with S. Maria del Popolo in Rome, among the earliest Augustinian foundations that are still occupied by the Order.
The present magnificent church (see drawings below) was begun in 1444 by Filippo Brunelleschi (Florence, 1377 - 1446). It is amongst the purest creations of early Renaissance architecture.