Merrimack was founded at the cordial invitation of the Cardinal Archbishop of Boston at that time, Richard Cushing, who was a true friend to the Order of Saint Augustine.
It served a wide area in a Catholic region of North Andover, and provided an oppoturnity for numerous war veterans who received government help to attend university.
It opened in 1947 in one modest new building. The Merrimack campus has grown to nearly forty buildings, and has adopted a beautiful brick colonial style of architecture.
These forty buildings include four classroom buildings, among which is the state-of-the-art Science, Engineering and Technology Centre named in honour of Gregor Mendel O.S.A., and the Library of 133,000 volumes that is named in honour of Vincent McQuade O.S.A., who was the inspiration and founder of Merrimack.
Other buildings include the Science, Engineering and Technology Center; the 130,000-square-foot Sakowich Campus Center; the Rogers Center for the Arts; the S. Peter Volpe Athletic Center; Austin Hall, which houses administrative offices; the Collegiate Church of Christ the Teacher; student apartment buildings, townhouses and residence halls; and the Louis H. Hamel Health Center.
Merrimack College in 2010 has 2,100 full-time and 900 part-time students from all parts of the United States and from twenty nine other countries. Eighty percent of its full-time students reside on campus.
With a full-time faculty of 140, Merrimack offers both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in forty fields of concentration, with nine special programs and a Cooperative Education Program.
(Continued on the next page.)